Sunday, November 7, 2010

Friends, Romans, Countrymen...

I have just realized Something Disturbing.

Something that brings nightmares to the bravest, sends the mother rushing to protect her young, and causes the healthiest and hardiest to sink trembling on their knees in terror and horror.

::cue the sinister music::

Election Time is approaching on dark wings of despair.

I don't just mean primary elections, or whatever it is we just had that has every news blogger in the country writing about how the Democrats were desperately trying to stay in power but they didn't and how the Republicans are rubbing it all in their faces and saying "ha, now you know how we felt," and "this is what you get for making fun of us trying to keep President Bush out of all our campaigning these last few years," because apparently, Obama's attention and support is the absolute last thing any Democratic candidate wanted right now. Which is understandable, of course, only I want to know whether they realize the complete irony of this situation.

But if all that trash wasn't bad enough, I caught a glimpse of a headline yesterday that made me go cold all over and my spine have enough unpleasant tinglings to fit right into a Nancy Drew novel. It read something like "Pres. Obama Prepares Campaign Strategy for 2012."

We're talking about the 2012 election already???? SERIOUSLY???

Y'all, we just got through with an election! I mean, yeah, it was two years ago, but I'm so totally not recovered from the months and months and months of boring, dreary, stupid, boring, stupid political talk. And I am surrounded by people, (not to mention every media outlet possible) who LOVE to talk politics. And talk politics. And then, hey, let's talk about politics a little!

Or we could NOT.

Don't get me wrong. Politics are important. Politics are [unfortunately] necessary. But people, is it really needful to talk about them, whine about them, groan about them, and then talk about them some more? Around election time, every conversation = politics. Every visit eventually turns to politics. I'm sorry, but that is major overkill.

I'm sure everyone will make fun of me for this post. And they'll make this huge deal about "oooh, we have to avoid politics around you, huh?" And you know what? If you want to be immature like that, go for it.

Here's where I'm coming from: I like to ask questions about politics, I like to know who's running and what their strengths are, I like to support Sarah Palin. I just don't let politics rule my life as do an inordinate amount of people.

Moderation is good in all things, ya' know.

EVEN politics. Wow, newsflash, right?

So please excuse me while I buy a nice set of earplugs, (preferably a snazzy blue color,) and insert them in my ears whenever politics comes up at the table AGAIN. Or at someone's house AGAIN. Or drifts across the air while I'm innocently walking across the parking lot at church AGAIN. I'm telling you, they're everywhere. Everywhere.

And I hope you've all enjoyed this brief, brief sabbatical from political obsession, 'cause it's over. O-V-E-R.

Election time is almost here.



p.s. this is my first, last, and only political post/rant... unless Sarah Palin becomes President, which is unlikely. But if she does, I'll definitely write about it.

7 comments:

realmccoy said...

So as long as we talk about Sarah "You Betcha" Palin around you it's okay, right?

Katie Larissa said...

in moderation, you can talk about whatever. in MODERATION.

Cordelia said...

I don't know if you want to hear this, and I KNOW you don't want to talk about politics (but it is about Sarah Palin) - have you heard about her recently? I hate to say it, but she's becoming a bit of a sell-out. I don't want to believe it, and I won't until it's been proved 100% true. Not 'till then. No ma'am.

Jean Marie said...

HAhahahahhaa.....I want to post this all over FB. hahaha.....I. TOTALLY. AGREE.

Christ is the one ruling anyways, sooooo......WHY do we have to talk about this again? ;)

Love you,
~ Tacy

Emily said...

My reaction to the first sentence: KATIE is writing about POLITICS? AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! Let's check the sky and make sure it's not falling or turning green!

My second thought was to give you a smartalecky scolding about how local/state/Congressional elections are just as important as Presidential.

Which brought up thought three: the irony of the fact that your post about how you don't like to talk about politics opened at least two or three political cans of worms. Fortunately, I'm not in the mood for fishing today. :P

Personally, I stay away from politics because they make me yell at innocent computers.

Love,
Somebody who still loves you even though you DON'T like important and fascinating conversational topics

P.S. Will you write a political post when Personhood hits the ballot next year?

Katie Larissa said...

Court: Yeah, that is the perspective the media is pushing on everybody, but that's what they've been pushing on everybody from day 1. I'm not saying she's perfect, y'all. I'm just saying she's good good policies and I think she really loves America.

Tacy: Honey, I knew we were destined to be dear friends. :)

Emma: No, not because I won't write about it, but because I don't really consider Personhood a political issue as much as a moral issue.

Thumper said...

Amen.
I cannot ride anywhere with Dad without hearing Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh on the radio.... it was great for abouyr two months before and after the 2008 election... now it's REALLY getting old