Sunday, January 17, 2010

today's EPIC post brought to you by my Totally Awesome Sister.

Okay, Katie has asked me to write a guest post on her blog, which I consider to be a great honor, so here goes.
Well, Sunday morning Trey went out to crank the car for us to go to church about five minutes before time to walk out the door. He shortly came back in saying we couldn't take the car cause it stank so bad inside - like soured towels or something. Now, I must confess here to not putting much stock in this report, as Trey has a particularly sensitive sniffer, and absently replied that I couldn't imagine what it could be, but I was sure it wasn't that bad. He went back out to put something in the trunk, and came back in with a look on his face that can only be described as sheer horror. His eyes were huge and somewhat fierce, his neck stiff, his voice severe. "You will never believe what was in the trunk."
I must stop here to relate some history of the car over the weekend. On Friday, we went to co-op as usual, came home somewhat late (after dark) and I backed up to the door for Trey to unload my groceries, as he always does, being my "Mary Poppins Husband - practically perfect in every way". He did so, then went back and shut the trunk. Saturday morning I got up (very early) and went and picked Heather Duley up and we drove the two and a half hours or so to Greenwood, Ms, to collect signatures for the Personhood Amendment. We were there for several hours, driving around town some, but mostly standing in front of a grocery store in the increasingly cold wind-turning-to-rain trying to get people to sign our petitions. Afterward, we drove back to New Albany, made a couple of stops, and I dropped Heather off and came home. So Sunday morning when Trey went to open my trunk and was hit with a Most Horrible Stank, he didn't know what to think. He moved aside the car seat that I had put in the trunk earlier in the week to find, crouching and terrified, Darcy and Reepicheep - our two cats who had very stupidly jumped into my trunk as Trey was unloading groceries Friday night, and spent two nights and a day trapped there. I must also add that the first half of the drive to Greenwood is very twisty-curvey, and I DID get a call from Caleb Fredrick who was behind me wanting to know WHY I was driving so fast. I suspect the cats were wondering the same.
We had to leave for church and were gone all day, so when I went out today to clean said trunk in which said kitties had left many...gifts...I was overcome with dismay. It was a beautiful day, the warmest we'd had in a while, but I was unable to fully appreciate it, as I was leaning in far to reach...gifts... and also twisting my hand down behind the torn-down liner of the trunk which was where they had oh-so-conveniently decided to make their potty. Oh yes, very yuck. My brave youngest son did climb in and crawl back to reach some things I couldn't, and confessed later that he DID hold his breath, which I thought was a definitely hopeful sign. Lee, however, said he breathed through his mouth so he wouldn't smell, which was infinitely grosser (is that a word?) to me.
Katie is now making fun of me for how long this post is, but when you've lived through this kind of horror, and now can tell about it, you want others to fully understand how stanky that Stank was.

THE END
there, Katie, you happy now?

9 comments:

Lolly said...

Okay, it WAS really long. Sorry.

Heather said...

You know, as the day went on, I started smelling something when we first got in the car... Yuck! I am glad the kitties made it, though!

realmccoy said...

Heather, the reason Laura didn't notice it and you did was because at any given time there is old tater tots, chicken strips, watered down DR. Pepper and other treasures in that car and it just smelled normal to her and the boys.
THe Lord gave me special grace Sunday because Laura insisted on leaving it to clean up for MOnday and it was almost more than I could stand...ok so I am a little OCD

Katie Larissa said...

Trey: YOU a little OCD? Hmmm... I've never really noticed that. Maybe I've just missed it.


YOU COMMENTED!

Cordelia said...

Well glad you finally noticed when you did. (Otherwise you might have been Darcy and Reepicheepless - and how sad would that be?)

Emily said...

Darcy and Reepicheep are such awesome cat names.
Most Horrible Stank sounds vaguely AA Milne.

Katie Larissa said...

Yes, I named them. Reepicheep's my favorite.

Emily said...

Have you seen Sydney's and Katie's Italy blogs? Thought you probably had, but if you haven't:

http://venividiitalia.blogspot.com/

http://sydneyinflorence.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm just glad you didn't forget the cats a while longer and...