Friday, January 29, 2010

Melville, honey, you're crazy.

We were talking about Moby Dick today in literature, specifically how Melville uses the color white to symbolize evil.

Teacher: "He mentions the great white shark, polar bears, the albatross, the Tower of London..."

Me: "Uh, the Tower of London is not white!"

Luke: "Maybe he was talking about the birds on the tower."





p.s. Happy, happy day! We have our computer back! I and all my neighbors are very delighted that I no longer have to go begging for a computer, and I've decided to give our computer an Official Name in honor of his return. (Because giving things Official Names is really fun; my straightener has a name, my hairdryer, my tooth brush, the three little freckles on my hand...)

I think our computer has earned itself a name besides just Happy Computer.

So...

hold your breath...

here it comes...

Pete. (or not, as you'll see below.)

It's nothing fancy, but our computer isn't very fancy, and Pete is a good, reliable, steady name. And those are all the things I desire in the inmost parts of my heart for our computer.

Welcome home, Pete.


p.p.s. don't you love how my post script was longer than the post?


::UPDATE::

Mama doesn't like the name Pete for our computer. Don't ask me why. After much deliberation, she decided Eustace would be an acceptable name. (She liked Simon, but said "that ugly man on American Idol is Simon and I sure don't want anyone thinking I named anything after him." She hates American Idol, probably because she's never watched more than five minutes of it. Not that I'm a huge fan or anything, mind you.)

Eustace is impatiently asking if his name is finalized; he wants to have his towels monogrammed. Yes, it's official, Eustace. And what on earth do you need towels for?

8 comments:

Jean Marie said...

I DO love it...welcome home PETE!!!...and welcome back, Betsin, I MISSED YOU!!! WE need lots of lovely blogging to make up for your absence. :)

Love you....praying.
~ Tacy

Cordelia said...

I'm dying to what the three little freckles on your hand are named.

Hello, Eustace. (Can I still call him Pete?)

Katie said...

No, you can't. Eustace is very particular about being called by his correct moniker.

The three freckles on my hand are Betsy, Tacy, and Tib.

Jean Marie said...

AHAAA HAHAHHAHAAA....are you SERIOUS??!!! When did you name them that? :D .... oh my. I can't stop giggling.

You made me....ahahahaha....

Katie Larissa said...

Tacy: A long while ago. Like, years.

I know, I know.

Emily said...

I wanted to know what the freckles were named too. Now what about the straightener?
Eustace is a good name for a Happy Computer. I'm glad he's back in working order. When I heard y'all's computer crashed my first thought was, 'Oh no, I hope they didn't lose all their pictures!' 'Cause I love the picture slideshow. And that's happened to us twice. It was Awful.
I've never been able to get into Melville. My papaw bribed me to read Moby-Dick when I was thirteen (by promising to lend me The Lord of the Rings when I got through). I couldn't do it. Then I read Bartleby a couple years ago. It was . . . bizarre. Interesting, but bizarre. So I decided I wasn't going to expend valuable reading time on an eight-hundred-page novel (Moby-Dick that I probably wouldn't like. There are too many eight-hundred-page books I do like. So I gave up on Melville. He's too American anyway.
Hey, look! I'm the first one to comment on the subject the post is titled after!

Anonymous said...

Maybe he just meant white sarcastically, in relation to the inner black dankness of the tower, hmm? Remember all those imprisoned innocents...

Unknown said...

I still want to know what the hair straightener's name is. And the hair dryer. And the toothbrush.

-kjc