Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mitike and Getise

Twin sisters. Five months old. Beautiful. Identical - yet not. Mitike is a lively, bossy, large bundle of happiness, and Getise is a tiny, scrawny child with a rattling cough and a none-too-firm grip on life. You see, Getise is HIV positive; Mitike is not.

My heart has been so burdened for these sisters... afraid that Mitike will be adopted and go on to live a normal, healthy life, unaware she ever had a precious twin... afraid that Getise will wane slowly away in an orphanage, cared for, but not enough to make her well.

Yesterday, a nurse told me that a family has agreed to take BOTH babies. They will be kept together, Getise will be given the love and special attention she so desperately needs, and some blessed family in America will have two of the sweetest girls ever.

I've been reminded so beautifully that the God Who knows each sparrow when it falls also knows each baby - by name. He knows the hairs on their heads. He knows their lying down and their rising up. He holds each one in His hand.

This isn't always so apparent as it is with Mitike and Getise. There are babies in these orphanages - and all over the world - who will go the rest of their often short lives without families and special love... or even enough food. I don't understand why this has to be.

But I do believe - and have been shown again this week with the simple story of two sisters - that my heavenly Father DOES care. He DOES know all the hurts and the sorrows. He knows the orphans.

And He has promised to be a "Father to the fatherless." That has been particularly sweet to me for the past five years, but in the last three weeks I've realized I've barely scratched the surface of this promise.

Is He enough for each baby? Each child? Sick or well? Adopted or not?

Yes. He is.

Amazing, huh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! :,)

Amy said...

Beautiful.
Glad you are there!

Lolly said...

This brought tears to my eyes - tears of praise for these sweet girls, tears of sadness for the many others...Thank God that He knows. I love you - SO glad you got to blog!

Unknown said...

Katie,

what a beautiful story and beautiful blog. i am so glad you found me and vice versa. I will be praying for your time in Ethiopia.

-Emily Jane