Sunday, September 19, 2010

Dear Geometry,

I've never, ever, ever been much of a math person. In fact, I'd usually choose almost anything in the whole wide world over doing math at all, and especially over doing extra math. Ha! Extra math has never even been a blip on my radar.

But yesterday, I was emotional, a wee bit stressed, had a head ache, and really nothing appealed to me - not writing, not reading, not eating, not violin, not talking, and I felt too tired to go clean something, which usually is a pretty good fall-back for me.

Out of no where, the thought occurred to me, "I'll go do a lesson in geometry!"

And so, I did.

You're steady and unchanging, no matter what upheaval is going on in my mind. Angles are angles, and rays are rays, and the formulas for figuring it all out don't shift and shake. Within fifteen minutes of picking you up, I was calmed and soothed, and after twenty minutes I went and crawled in bed, totally relaxed and blissfully unconcerned with emotional issues. Plus, I felt as though I had accomplished something Useful and Beneficial.

So, thank you, Geometry, for being an odd sort of consolation for my troubled self. Never thought those words would come out of my mouth, but there they are.

See you again soon!



Best Regards,
Katie

5 comments:

Emily said...

More kindred spirit proof! I have always hated math with an intense passion, but I love geometry. I never understood why Anne hated it. I still wouldn't consider it the ideal headache curer though.

Cordelia said...

I love Geometry!

Lolly said...

Um, Katie? I think you should know someone hacked your blog...wrote this wierd post about geometry...

Katie Larissa said...

Nope, I claim full authorship. (is authorship even a word?)

Em: It was a tears-induced headache, and those are usually easy to solve, if you quit crying.

nonie said...

I never ever liked geometry. Memorizing all those theroms, (don't even know how to spell that) always bored me. Now, memorizing music often made sense...but to me, no sense ever in geometry. But then, I never liked much math, except I did like factoring for some reason. More power to you, Katie