Sunday, March 14, 2010

Nyquil and I are tight. Like a porcupine and a new-born baby.

I am trying to take Nyquil. Please note the key word, "trying."

I pour it out. It thickly slides into the medicine cup.

I look at it. It's red and thick.

I smell it. Words fail me.

Ugh.

I remember why I usually say, "Well, I'll just let this horrible, throat-wrenching sickness run its natural course without the help of dope."

I lift the cup to my lips.

I lower the cup.

I tell myself I'm a big baby. Countless memories of mama standing over me and forcing me to swallow Nyquil come rushing back. (I'm not kidding. She actually had to force open my mouth on more than one occasion.)

I think "just do it! it'll be over! you'll feel better; you'll sleep."

don'tthinkdon'tthinkjustdrinkitdownjustdrinkitdown...

here goes...

(don't you love how I'm giving such a [very] literal blow-by-blow?)

What?

Nobody is still reading? Why ever not? 'Cause this is thrilling edge-of-your-seat kind of stuff.

Come on, you know you've done this before.

Yes, I'm stalling.



There. The deed is done.

It was as nasty and thick and thick and nasty as I expected. But now I'll sleep like a baby. (Except that most babies don't sleep very well, you know? They wake up lots during the night and scream. So, how did that simile get started? By someone without kids?)

Addendum: My throat feels better already. I suppose it was worth it.

7 comments:

Emily said...

I read the whole thing. Because it was strangely familiar.

Claire said...

I echo what Emily said...

You will appreciate the red if you have ever been so unfortunate to have tried the green!!!!!!!!!!

Again, Lisa not Claire!

Jean Marie said...

HAHAHAH.....I can't take it. Because instead of making me sleep, it will WIRE me until the end of all sleeping EVER for like....2 days, because of a genetic condition that makes certain things like: sleeping drugs and decongestants do the OPPOSITE. Yah, and guess what...I'm also allergic to red dye. Nyquil would send me into like....wired, and unhappy screaming ...... well. you get the picture.

I'm happy you ... um....took it? hahahahhaa

Love you,
~ Tace

nonie said...

Katie...you are amazing. Yes, I admit, I read it til the end. How could I not? I suppose Nyquil is better than what my parents made me take. Whiskey and orange juice, and often with a chaser of an aspirin dissolved in warm water in a spoon. Just a little water and that whole tablet. Need I say "YUCK".

elliebird said...

My my...what a brave little thing you are.

If you'd been at my house, Mama would've made you some tasty whiskey, honey, and lemon. it does wonders, and it doesn't taste that bad.

Jacob said...

Wonderful advice from one who knows: Wash your sadness away with a cup of hot tea.

Lolly said...

Ah, so VERY familiar. I still do the exact same process - and Trey still rolls his eyes at me, patiently encourages me (because he is more than wonderful), and I eventually get it down. yuck.