Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sorrow and Love


Today is four years since Daddy left these shadowlands and saw his Saviour face to face.

I still miss him so very, very much.

Every time I see a pack of skittles or a diet coke, I think of our excursions together into town when we'd stop and "get a little something" at the gas station.

When I mow the grass, I think of our last real conversation together a couple of weeks before he died, when he told me I'd have to learn to mow the grass now, and he was sorry he couldn't teach me.

I never look at our Henty bookcase without hearing his voice reading those adventures to me and pausing to explain the history as only Daddy could. I read two of them out loud to him when the cancer and chemo made it impossible for him to read to himself. One was about Venice, and one was set in India, and I absolutely butchered the name pronunciations, believe me. Once, poor Daddy stopped me and whispered, "You've said that name three different ways." I wish I could read to him again.

When I hear whistling, I think of Daddy. He whistled all the time.

When I learn something interesting in history, (his favorite subject,) I ache to tell him about it and get his opinion.

When I come across a verse in the Bible which isn't clear to me, I miss him terribly, because he was often much more understandable than any commentary.

The bottom line is, I'll always miss him. Almost every area of my day-to-day life is affected by my strong, loving Daddy. I love him so much. Always have, always will.

And even though that brings hurt now, as well as sweetness, I'm thankful beyond words that God gave me such an earthly father... that I had him for thirteen years... that he helped me appreciate classical music, that he read out loud to me for countless hours, that he walked before me in the fear of the Lord, and that by God's grace he taught me this beautiful lesson:

Disease can tear a body apart. It can be ugly, it can be overwhelmingly sad. Death comes, takes someone strong and wonderful, and makes him nothing but a cold, lifeless body. But disease cannot take away hope and peace in Christ. Death is nothing but a tool in the hands of our Creator, and for the believer, it is a wonderful thing, because it carries us away from this imperfect world to our Heavenly Father.

Daddy was excited about death. (He used to say that he wasn't afraid of death, it was the dying that gave him some fear.) He was yearning to walk and talk with Jesus in a better way than he had ever even imagined.

And now, he is.

9 comments:

Katie Larissa said...

Katie-rissa, As I sat here reading through the tears..and with a smile as well, I rejoiced again that Mike Strevel was my husband and your earthly father. When I came to the end and viewed the pic of you two in his old recliner--both sacked out--I expected you to have written at the bottom of the photo as the ending of the last sentence,'And now, he is'...resting, sweetly resting.
So to continue the hymn:
"Now [he's]I'm resting, sweetly resting in the cleft once made for me, Jesus Blessed Rock of Ages,I will hide myself in Thee"
remembering, Mama

Claire said...

Katie,
I was thankful to "have" him for 25 years! I was 5 years old when I started 1st grade in RCS. I credit a lot of my molding (the good parts) to him. He was a gentle, patient (most of the time if Jacob and Tommy weren't involved) understanding man and we all miss him too!

Lisa Newell

Jean Marie said...

Dearest girl ... Betsy....
He is not gone away, merely sent before ... He walks side by side with the One who loves Him the very best. I wish I could have known him ...

I know pain and grieving and years. It stings, it aches, it wrenches, it ..... HURTS.

But Christ has given us the surpassing hope and joy, that HE has prepared for us, in Heaven, and here, as we have Emmanuel, the Holy Spirit, God with us. :)

He is there.....your daddy....and it is even better than we would have ever believed or dreamed. :)

Love you.....hugs....
~ Tacy

elliebird said...

i love you, katie.

Emily said...

(((hugs)))

nonie said...

Oh, Katie, what a beautiful tribute to your beloved Daddy. Your way with words is fantastic, but it is more fantastic that you have these memories to cling to. I would suggest that you write more of him(perhaps you have a lot) and one thought will lead to another and you can still "have him" here on earth.Oh how sweet to know he is with the Lord forever.

Katie Larissa said...

Thank you, everyone.

Lisa, yes, he was a terribly patient man, but when he wasn't, you didn't want to be on the receiving end.

Sis. Diane, I AM so thankful to have such vivid, real memories to hold. And the knowledge that he is with the Lord forever takes away much of death's sting.

Laura Kathryn said...

I love you, Katie, and I loved your sweet daddy too. He was such a good "Uncle."

Lolly said...

My Sweet,
It's been a while since I read your dear blog, and I sit here tonight - laughing, rolling my eyes, and now crying. What a magnificent Daddy we had! Everything you said was mirrored in my heart. Each memory you had was fresh and clear in me. I love the memory of Daddy - I love how you brought it to me so clearly tonight - I love you.