Tuesday, March 2, 2010

When the moon goes from flat to round...

"At around age six, perhaps, I was standing by myself in our front yard waiting for supper, just at that hour in a late summer day when the sun is already below the horizon and the risen full moon in the visible sky stops being chalky and begins to take on light. There comes the moment, and I saw it then, when the moon goes from flat to round. For the first time it met my eyes as a globe. The word 'moon' came into my mouth as though fed to me out of a silver spoon. Held in my mouth the moon became a word. It had the roundness of a Concord grape Grandpa took off his vine and gave me to suck out of its skin and swallow whole, in Ohio."

-Eudora Welty

2 comments:

elliebird said...

"when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's amore..."

i have no idea why that made me think of that.



i like that quote a lot. she's the best.

Katie Larissa said...

Actually, I thought of that song phrase too... but it gets stuck in my head, and that's the only phrase from that song I know, which makes having it stuck in my head super duper annoying.