Sunday, May 30, 2010

It's ALL Total Depravity's Fault!!! Right?

"Because of that one sin of Adam we have reaped the appalling consequences. But because of this one act of the Son of God, [dying on the cross,] we are going to reap all the benefits of salvation."

-Martyn Lloyd-Jones


I don't really like to talk about my sin. Inherently, it's my heart's desire to keep my failures and shortcomings and selfish actions closely under wraps. But if you go to a healthy church, and live in a healthy Christian family, sin is talked about. It's not something we can do away with, and it really isn't something we can successfully hide.

So, I often find myself, and watch others around me, doing the next best thing.

We find a scapegoat.

And Adam, our first representative, is the perfect scapegoat. After all, it was because of his sin that we are all cursed with this totally depraved nature - which is the abhorrence of every true Christian.

I like to blame my sin on my totally depraved nature, pretending that I cannot help myself. "You know, just my old sin nature comin' through. It's a pity, but that's just the way it is." (Maybe you don't have this struggle. But I think if we're totally honest with ourselves, we'll see that type of conversation in our lives, whether it be spoken in an inward whisper, or whether we come right out and say it in conversation.)

But this quote by Dr. Lloyd-Jones reminded me that even though, yes, I suffer from Adam's fall, I also am given indescribable blessings and mercies and privileges because of Christ's work on the cross.

As a child of the King, I have been commanded to live as my Saviour lived. And how did he live?

Did he embrace sin? Did he blame his unkind or selfish actions on his evil sin nature-I-really-wish-I-didn't-have-but-since-I-do-I-guess-I'll-just-deal-with-it?

No! He knew no sin.

He lived a perfect life. And while I know I will never be perfect, or anywhere close to perfect, as the briefest of glances inside my heart would show, I have been given the tools not to sin.

"Wait a second, Katie. That sounds awfully like perfectionism to me!"

Well, it isn't.

Through the beautiful benefits of salvation, through Christ Himself, we have been given the means not to sin. We choose sin. I make that sinful choice, not some evil dictator inside my head using me like a robot. And Christ didn't say "Be ye holy as I am holy" for no reason.

The more I think about this, (and obviously this is a very weak and imperfect attempt to put into words some of my recent thoughts and meditations, and only covers a portion of the big picture,) the more I am ashamed at the way I have often sluffed off my sin, which I choose, on my nature.

I have been guilty of forgetting that Christ's life here on this earth, as the God-Man, cleared for me, a believer, the path of righteousness and holiness... and even sinlessness.

What cause for rejoicing is in that knowledge! And what responsibility and privilege is found therein. (By the by, I love the word therein. It's so King James Version-ish.)

This may all be just terribly confusing. If so, I apologize for my scrambled way of writing. If you want to read a MUCH better, fuller, clearer exposition on what I'm trying to communicate, read this book.

1 comment:

Jacob said...

Ah! You are but beginning. I've read and studied the entire book, and I daren't say I've "arrived": but if this is what you write after just the first few chapters, then greater things are yet to come: either from Lloyd-Jones, or from our really reading and applying what dear Paul had to say.
We've already begun the wonderful Romans 5 exposition.