Saturday, August 8, 2009

All that is needed for a majority is God and one man.

Today, an older pastor spoke to the young people at my church. He has been a faithful follower of Christ for many, many years, and somehow everything he says seems to carry extra weight; perhaps because he truly lives what he preaches.

He talked to us about the potential that one single roomful of young Christians had... the wonderful things we could accomplish by the grace of Christ. I don't pretend to limit this to one roomful. How much better it would be if the fire of revival spread amongst all the young people of America! And that started me thinking.

What would it be like if just a handful of teenagers and early twenties purposed that their whole lives would be lived under the banner of Christ and in the constant awareness of the lost souls around us? Would we live differently if we viewed every person, from the man beside us in the doctor's waiting room, to the lady with her kids at the park, as needy souls? I think we would.

Now, I don't mean by this that we walk up to every person we pass on the street and hand them a gospel tract, or go door to door every minute of every day. Those things have a place, I believe, but there's more to witnessing than just giving out information.

True witnessing, as I see it, is dying to self in such a way that everyone around cannot help but notice, "Hey, there's something different about so-and-so. They don't live selfishly, or meanly, or ungraciously. They have something more than I." And in this way, opportunities will arise to impart the eternal life-giving gospel, because people will want what we have. We won't be able to do this, live in this way I have described, perfectly. Probably we won't do it even close to perfectly, but God will honor a whole-hearted desire to glorify Him by giving us victory over even ourselves.

It's very easy to sit here at the computer and tap these words out on the key board. It requires nothing of me except a few minutes and some coherent thoughts. But will I live on them this week? Today, when my will is crossed? Tomorrow, when I am overlooked in something I feel I should be acknowledged? I'll tell you what: I can make really good resolutions and think good things and bolster myself up to the task of living righteously, but all those things are absolutely nil without the strength of Christ working for me and the grace of Christ working in me. And how do I obtain that? Jesus has promised grace sufficient, and if we cry out to Him for this with true sincerity, He will hear our prayers.

So, if we say we want to live in a way that honors Christ and draws others to Him, He has given us a beautiful means of doing this - Christ Himself.

I encourage you to lay self in the dust and, through Christ, live in a way that will cause the earth to shake, just as it did in the time of the Great Awakenings in America and Britain. It is possible, because God can and often will use the most unlikely, the most ungifted boy or girl, man or woman to accomplish great and wonderful things for His glory.

All that is needed for a majority is God and one man.

No comments: