Friday, August 7, 2009

Swish, Swoosh.

I love sweeping.

I know that sounds strange and twisted, but I really do.

There's just this undefinable satisfaction that comes from the coarse sound of the broom hairs swooshing over the floor and watching the growing trail of dirt and dust and crumbs come together in a nice, compact pile to be scooped into the dustpan. You know the floor is getting cleaner by the second, and that all those dust bunnies and nasty flecks of dirt are going to be shoved into the dark oblivion of the trash can, never to cling to the bottom of bare feet again. And that is a happy thought.

I'm really quite grateful to the ancient woman who first tied a bunch of straw together to sweep out the floor of her cave or tent. Can you just imagine her delight at seeing all the dirt be banished at once, instead of... well, I don't know, one piece at a time? I'll bet her kids were happy too. "Yes! No more scraping up crumbs with our hands!"

And then I can just see her rushing around to all her neighbors and proudly displaying her new toy. And those women all rushing out to the fields for straw or reeds or whatever it was they made brooms out of back then. Boy, that must have been a wonderful day.

Doesn't it make you thankful for brooms? Thankful that we can just go to Wal*Mart and pick out whichever broom we like the best instead of slaving over weaving hay together? It does me.

Yay for brooms and clean floors!

9 comments:

towgyb said...

there is a certain satisfaction in reading such from one's daughter--especially if one has had a love affair with said instrument of tidying-up--but I hope better things for this child than merely keeping a grit-free floor and my ocd tendencies showing up in the next generation are not totally thrilling. Only if she sings lovely hymns while she sweeps and smiles with her eyes as well as her mouth will I be content.

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I really appreciated the moving things that you had to say. I was kinda thinking along these lines while I was vacuuming earlier. Or, at least, I was thinking about the philosophical underlyings that went along with that particular task. I woudl like to dsicuss them at length, but you should probably just wait for the movie version.

Heather Brandon said...

I need you at my house. I have gone through so many brooms, I should go down to the Amish & get one that is super sturdy. Hannah Mathenia feels the same way you feel about sweeping only her passion is cleaning toilets. Really.... it is her favorite chore.

Katie Larissa said...

Heather: I love cleaning toilets, and Hannah and I have always said there was a definite reason we were such good friends.

Jacob. Too bad you don't feel like going into the conversation right now. We'll certainly have to have it one day, because I'm sure your thoughts on the subject are enlightening.

Emily said...

Clean toilets and clean floors are very nice and it's great fun to be part of making them happen, but my thing is laundry. Love to see the dirty basket emptying and the stacks of clean growing.

Anonymous said...

you are strange dear child :D

Katie Larissa said...

Nasada: I know I'm strange. Thank you for thinking I'm dear.

Emily: you see, laundry is my worst nightmare. I hate it. A little ironing isn't all that bad, but folding -ugh.

Lolly said...

How am I in the same family with this person? Truly, 'tis a great mystery.

JennyLF said...

Right there with ya, Katie. Did you hear Pastor John make that remark about "no one likes to clean?" I've been cleaning even more to take my mind off other stuff lately. Great stress-reliever.