Tuesday, October 27, 2009

In which I turn seventeen and drink gallons of Dr. Pepper

Today is my birthday. I like birthdays, I do. Presents, party, a growing aura of wisdom and advancement... what's not to like?

But this birthday is even better than most.

You see, on September 12th, I decided to give up all soft drinks until my birthday. Period. Not a sip of Coke, not a chug of Pepsi, not a swig of Sprite. And mostly, not a whiff of Dr. Pepper.

Now, it may not seem like such a big deal to y'all, but I drank at least one Dr. Pepper a day. Why? Because Dr. Pepper is wonderful and amazing and the best invention known to man aside from the electric washing machine. Duh.

But I bravely determined to quit cold turkey. Quit, with never an anguished glimpse towards my twenty-four pack sitting sweetly and invitingly. Okay, I lied. Actually, I quit with several anguished glimpses towards my twenty-four pack sitting sweetly and invitingly. But that's neither here nor there. The bottom line is, I quit.

It's been a rough forty-five days.

However, this morning, with the pale grey dawn breaking over the hills, (how's that for touching imagery?) I was free from the curse which has haunted my steps and my mouth for so long.

And, oh, how good that icy cold Dr. Pepper felt slipping down my dry and ravished throat, which has gasped and begged for its tonic, its heroin, its addiction, ever since I quit. (Yeah, I'm exaggerating. It sounds so much better put like that than just "it tasted really good." Hemingway I ain't.)

I'm determined to not just drink with abandon, now that I've got the habit mostly out of my system. I'm going to really limit my intake of soft drinks. I'm gonna keep it waaay down. I promise.

Right after I drink another Dr. Pepper.

After all, it is my birthday.

9 comments:

Cordelia said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR KATIE!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! :)

Katie, I hope you have the wonderfullest (it's a word in my book) birthday ever. And save me a Dr. Pepper, because guess what? I don't have a race this Saturday - so I can (and I will!) drink soda this week! Yes! We can celebrate together!

I love you. A whole, whole lot.

Cordelia said...

P.S. - the Charity water link looks great. You must be really tech-savvy to be able to put it up all by yourself! ;)

Katie Larissa said...

Well, I actually had some high teach help guiding me. She's a computer genius, believe me.

Anonymous said...

"da da da HAPPY BIRTHDAY1!"

Hannah said...

Happy Birthday Katie!!!!!
I hope you had a great day!!

Gurtrude said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
17 WOW!

Emily said...

Ellen and I were walking through Barnes & Noble and your birthday came up. I remembered the day of your birthday, but not that this was it. :P
Happy birthday, darlin'. I'm so glad the Lord brought you into my life.

Katie Larissa said...

Thanks, everybody.

Amy said...

Why did the chicken cross the road?
Ernest Hemingway: To die. In the rain.