Friday, October 30, 2009

Maybe I should learn mandolin? Or not.

Yep. Mmmhmmm. That's Chris Thile. In person. With me. Holding my hand. (Because I told him I liked Punch Brothers better than Nickel Creek. Not because he thought I was super gorgeous and charming. Ha! No.)

I went to Birmingham, Alabama, (which has the worst downtown in the whole world, by the way - at least, it's the worst at 10:15 p.m., lost, looking for a Starbucks, only to find one and it be closed as of nineteen minutes before you got there,) with some friends to see Chris Thile perform with the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. It was really amazing. He played Bach and Radiohead and Bartok. Yeah. The Bach was the very best of all, and I don't even love Bach.

If you've been living under a sad, dark, damp box and don't know who the Punch Brothers are, or who Chris Thile is, (only the dude who is totally re-vamping everyone's opinion of the mandolin and its abilities,) go here to see Chris perform Bach's E Major Prelude. It. Is. Fantastically. Wonderful.

Or here to hear him sing "Flow Gently Sweet Afton."

And here to see Punch Brothers performing. It's not my favorite of their songs, by any means, but it's beautiful. Their song "Punch Bowl" sounds great, but the lyrics aren't that hot. As in, don't think I'm recommending it. I'm not.

While we're on that note, I'd just like to clarify that while I think Chris Thile is very talented, and I enjoy his music, he is quite Godless. So, I am recommending his sound, but not at all his person or philosophies. Got that? Okay. Disclaimer finished.


Anyway, last night was fun, fun, fun. I always love going to the Symphony. It's so elegant and old-fashioned, and it reminds me of Daddy. And of why I love music. Oh, why is that? Because it's not only passionate and sweet and powerful all at the same time, it makes me tingle from head to toe, and it is so full of life. And... you know what? I'm just gonna have to write about music someday. Or a lot of somedays. It's really difficult to pin it down with words. Which is why music was invented. 'Cause sometimes words give out.


P.S. If you want to know where the corner of 11th and 8th is, I can tell you this. It's not where there's a Starbucks.

10 comments:

Jacob said...

Oh my.

Cordelia said...

At least we know where to find Starbucks NOW! ;)

Anonymous said...

I. Am. So. Jealous.

wow...a couple of years ago, Nickel Creek came to Jackson, and I bought tickets way in advance, and Laura and I were going to go and everything, then come to find out, our orchestra concert was on the same night. So, Mama being Mama, wouldn't let me skip the concert...oh, no, had to sell my beautiful tickets to someone else...wow, I sound really bitter, don't I? I think I really am over it, though...maybe...;)

Anyway, yay for you! I'm glad it was fun!

Bonnie Mae

Katie Larissa said...

Bonnie: I am very sad for you. And for me, because I never got to see Nickel Creek in concert, and it doesn't look like I ever will. But, seriously, I think Punch Bros are even better. You should definitely check them out.

Emily said...

YOU DON'T LOVE BACH?!!!! How could you not love Bach? Next thing you'll tell me you don't love Mendelssohn.

Katie Larissa said...

Em: Okay, okay. Sorry to have aroused your righteous anger. I enjoy some of Bach, but not all of it. And still less of it do I truly love. And Bach as a person got on my nerves. He was always grovelling in front of some big name or other, never having courage to break away. Yes, I know it was his job and he had a family to support. But I just didn't like him, and it translates to his music some, and some I just don't like the music in its own right.

I do enjoy Mendelssohn. There.

Anonymous said...

dude!!! ryan is going to be SO jealous!!
He wanted to go watch him play with the Alabama Symphony,but he was too late.
I`m gonna show him this picture. :D

Anonymous said...

I echo Jacob completely. Exactly what I was going to say.

*slightly jealous* Hehe. What a pic.

And no, Em, I don't go much for Bach, either.

Emily said...

Come to think of it, you've told me that before. Oh well, 'to each her own'. I'd hate it if everybody had the same taste as me. Somebody I'm very fond of doesn't like Handel and I like him anyway :).
Incidentally, I have no idea who this person in the picture is, except that y'all went to the concert. But I love the mandolin (almost as much as the hammered dulcimer).

Katie Larissa said...

Now, not liking HANDEL is close to an abomination, in my humble opinion. How could you not?