Monday, October 5, 2009

They don't make 'em like Charlton Heston anymore.

If I were a movie producer, and I was making a movie out of a story where the brave, wonderful hero dies early, I would change the end.

I would end it magnificently and happily, then put a little *note - he actually died* after the final scene.

That's what I would do.




I didn't want El Cid to die. But at least he died nobly and bravely and wonderfully. "And thus, El Cid rode out of the gates of history and into legend."

6 comments:

Emily said...

ooh, I remember El Cid. And are you saying that I'm not the only one who sticks by Charlton Heston? I don't care if he was a terrible actor. He made some great movies.

Katie Larissa said...

He wasn't a terrible actor!

Well, okay, maybe he was a little over the top, but he was handsome enough and had good enough roles to make up for it.

In fact, that's what defines him. He just wouldn't be the same strong, amazing guy if he did anything, even his acting, half way.

Emily said...

My family thinks he's a terrible actor. By the way, I think you might appreciate the amount of shock and horror that overcame me when Hannah showed me this in a catalogue:
'Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning: Kindred spirits, rejoice---our heroine is back! Visiting Prince Edward Island in 1945, Anne---now a successful middle-aged author---agrees to write a play for a friend. But the real drama begins when she discovers a letter from her errant father---and unearths long-buried memories from her childhood.'
As Mrs Rachel says, 'I will be surprised at nothing after this--nothing!'

Katie Larissa said...

I am properly shocked and horrified. The very idea!

Jacob said...

"They don't make 'em like Charlton Heston anymore."
Thanks Katie. I like a comforting thought every now and then.

Katie Larissa said...

Oh, you're welcome. I like to be encouraging.