Saturday, October 3, 2009

Three Days Until...

Okay. Can I just say something?

Oh, yeah. It's my blog, so I can.

Anyhow, here goes.

I love road trips. As in, really, really looove them. There's sleeping in the car, (and getting a ridiculously painful crick in the neck,) eating candy with total abandon, (I don't know why it seems not so bad to eat pounds and pounds of sweets when you're traveling, but somehow it doesn't,) reading that book you've been meaning to for a long time, (in this case the biography of Martin Lloyd Jones,) watching the new landscapes flash by your window, and being able to talk without interruption to the people traveling with you, (well, except when you're traveling with children, and then you're interrupted every three minutes and you can't say "ok, that's it! Go outside right this minute!" because that would kill them. But, that's what laptops are for. "Hey, kids! who wants to watch another cartoon?")

And guess what?

I'm about to go on the mother of all road trips.

Eighteen hours from Mississippi to Santa Fe, baby! Oh, yeah!

Just wait. It gets better.

I'm going on this Goliath road trip with some of my favorite people: Laura, Trey, Lee, and Ben, and we are going to have a blast.

Yes, I'm super duper excited about seeing Colorado and New Mexico for the first time ever, and I can't wait to drive through the mountains and see the Fall colors on all the aspens, and explore Santa Fe, (plus, our hotel in Santa Fe shares a parking lot with an outlet mall. How cool is that?)

But I'm especially excited about the trip there. I'm going to finish knitting the scarf I started last December, and I'm going to read the Hobbit out loud to the boys, just like Daddy and Mama read it out loud to me. I'm going to watch their eyes light up when Bilbo and the dwarves escape from the goblins, and watch them shiver in fear when Smaug in all his splendid terribleness destroys Lake Town.

Uh, huh, there are definite downsides to long road trips. Big downsides. But you know what? I'm not going to write about them right now. Because I'm all about accentuating the positive.

7 comments:

elliebird said...

ugh. lucky beaver bum.
bring me back a mexican!

...just kidding.

while you're reveling in the beauty and non-schoolness of this trip, remember us poor school children back home and have a moment of silence on our behalf.

Lolly said...

Well, I'm looking super-forward to it also - especially you reading to the boys so much (while I have my earbuds snugly in :)) Seriously, we ARE going to have a ball, and I'm so excited. And Eleanor, don't worry - I'll make SURE she does some school work just for you!

Katie Larissa said...

E: I'm crying lots of salty tears over missing two Fridays of classes.


And did you know the sky just turned green with pink polka dots?


Heheehee...

Cordelia said...

I like road trips too! :(

I'm sure you're dreadfully disappointed about missing all the lovely opportunities and presentations. And me, of course. ;)

Amy said...

Katie - "Well, everyone.... since it's my blog and you will all read it and since you're all my friends and will love me regardless... I just wanted to tell you all that I'm going on a long vacation on the open road in autumn while y'all all stay behind at school and work. Hakunamatata!"

Hmph.

Katie Larissa said...

AMY!! No.

Not at all.

And I will be doing schoolwork on the trip, I promise.

And making it with two small boys and no hotel stopovers.

And didn't you just get back from gorgeous Kentucky? Louisville, no less. My favorite city ever. I'm really jealous.

Anonymous said...

I'm just reading "The Hobbit" for the first time *makes way for "how slow you are" comments* and, yeah, that part about the goblins is so cool. :P