Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Our house is alive with the sound of music...

Tonight I watched The Sound of Music for the three hundredth time, (almost literally.)

The last time I saw it was about two years ago, when I got my wisdom teeth out, and not only has it been a long time since that precious occasion, I was drugged within an inch of my sanity and having an allergic reaction to the pain medication. (You should try that sometime; it's a blast.)

So, I'd almost forgotten how much I absolutely love that movie.

I really, really love that movie.

And as I watched it tonight, something scary, unrealistic, and majorly disturbing hit me like a ton of chapstick tubes. I am older than all the von Trapp children. All of them. Even Liesel, whom I adored and imitated as much as was humanly possible when I was a little girl. (Playing Liesel and Rolf was my favorite game for a long time after I watched the movie - and watched it again, and watched it again, and watched it again - until Mama banned me from playing that game because I got a little too enchanted with the romance side of it.)

Let's think about this a minute. I was five or so, Gretel's age, when I watched The Sound of Music for the first time, curled up on Mamaw's couch, asking her what on earth were all those women doing wearing black robes and head thingies? Now, I'm grown up compared to the seven children. I'm not Gretel's age anymore. I'm not Louisa's age anymore. I'm not even Liesel's age anymore. But I'm still just as enthralled with the movie as that first time, when I fell in love with the scenery, the songs, the people, Captain von Trapp... honestly, have you ever seen a handsomer man than Christopher Plummer? I think not.

I still get tingles when Julie Andrews spins in front of the screen for the first time, singing that beautiful song with her beautiful voice. I still laugh when the children start to fake cry at the dinner table. (Seriously, the make up artist could have, like, sprayed their faces with water or something.) The moment when the reverend mother lifts Maria's veil for the first time, and the amazing walk down the aisle, (my parents have been to that church, how awesome is that?) always makes me want to jump up and get married. In that exact same dress. To Christopher Plummer. Except that he's old and wrinkly now, so never mind that last part.

I always cry when they sing their good-bye song to Austria, and that last scene, with them climbing the splendid, grassy mountains, always makes me want to renounce my American citizenship and move to Austria or Switzerland pronto.


It doesn't matter that I'm older than the girl I reallyreally wanted to be when I was five and six and seven. A little part of my heart, (this is where I wax cheesy- just warning you -) will always belong to The Sound of Music.

10 comments:

Jacob said...

Wow. I was noting the other how shocking it was that I could subconsciously remember (and sing) most of the songs from that movie (e.g. My Favourite Things, The Sound of Music, The lonely Goatherd, and the staple, Doe a Deer. That's probably my second favourite musical out of the two that I like.

elliebird said...

aww maaan! i've been meaning to watch that again! phooey. this is why i should tell you every single little detail of my life. if you'd known, i could've come watched it with you.
oh well.

Nathan said...

Wow, when I first watched it I felt nothing, or the second, or the third, (and that was the last time I watched that movie) but then again I am a boy.
Nathan

Katie Larissa said...

E: Wait three months and I'll be ready to watch it again.

Anonymous said...

I love it too! Edelweiss is still one of my favorite lullabies, but do you know that every time I try to sing it to Isaiah at night he raises up his head and does his "no no no no no" thing ever so sweetly. I'll just keep on trying!

anna said...

guess what? I just got an account so you'll know who I am when I "comment"!

anna said...

I was the anonymous one by the way - in case the reference to Isaiah didn't make it clear - just thought you would like to be sure!

Katie Larissa said...

Hahaha, Anna. Yes, I actually knew who you were THIS time, but i'm sure it will come in handy in future communications.

Emily said...

Aw! Hannah wanted to be Liesel when she was little (and also Diana in "Anne"; she had dresses named for both of them).
I have found that singing every song from The Sound of Music in order makes housework fly. Except for 'Something Good'. I've never been able to sing that since I heard a preacher use it for an illustration of bad theology.
I used to reenact 'Maria' with my American Girl dolls. 'She climbs a tree and scrapes her knee, her dress has got a tear . . . '

Katie Larissa said...

Yeah, I have to admit that I always fast forward that song, Emily, for that very reason. Plus, it gets stuck in your head.