Monday, February 15, 2010

snowflakes on my lashes

It's snowing again - third time this year to have little feathery white puffs twirling and dancing down from the sky. We usually get one respectable snow per year. And sometimes they aren't even respectable, just barely decent.

Take THAT, you global warming people.







p.s. Go watch the new Emma, now. This minute. Or at least tonight, with a mug of hot chocolate, or dill pickles and cheese, or well-seasoned popcorn and Dr. Pepper. It is by far my favorite adaptation of Emma, which is by far my favorite Jane Austen. Yes, more so than Pride and Prejudice. Take me out and hang me, but it's true. Who could love Mr. Darcy when Mr. Knightly is around?

Anyway, having just finished re-reading the book, I was able to pick up on several of the details this version included which the other movies just skipped.

I do know that Emma is selfish. And snobby. And silly. And somewhat conceited.

Maybe that's why I enjoy reading about her failures and corrections and embarrassments and achievements so much. She's realistic. She has to work on her faults. And it's so wonderful to watch Mr. Knightly encourage and help her, just as every loving hero will do for less-than-perfect heroines.

So, you should definitely watch it.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Courtney and I watched it at her house...I really like it.

Emily said...

oooooo, I watched the first episode last night. It's marvelous.

Cordelia said...

Snow and Emma. What could be better?

And Catherine, we never finished it! Now we don't have to watch it online, because I know it!! So come over and watch the rest with me! :)

elliebird said...

i completely agree. mr. knightley is ever so much more...More.