Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"Do you think he plans it all out, or just makes it all up as he goes?"

There's a lot of negative comments that could be, (and have been,) made about the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, or as Mama likes to call them, "those heathen movies."

Now, personally, I really enjoy them. The scenery, the amazing music, Johnny Depp, the adventures, the abrupt plot twists, and just the whole pirate aura make Pirates, especially the first one, high on my favorites list.

But whether you intensely love POTC or despise it with a burning hatred, you have to admit that whoever wrote the dialogue is brilliant. I think the movies probably surpass even Princess Bride in the awesome quotes department.

So, here are a few of my favorites.

Will Turner: "Where's Elizabeth?"
Jack Sparrow: "She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington, just like she promised. And you get to die for her, just like you promised. So we're all men of our word really... except for, of course, Elizabeth, who is in fact, a woman."

"Were I in a divulgatory mood, what would I be divulging?" -Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow: "One question about your business, boy, or there's no use going: This girl... how far are you willing to go to save her?"
Will Turner: (vehemently) "I'd die for her."
Jack Sparrow: "Oh good. No worries then."

"I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically." -Jack Sparrow

(I think that one is my very favorite of all.)

"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly stupid." -Jack Sparrow

Jack: "Why not? We are very much alike you and I. I and you. Us."
Elizabeth: "Except for a sense of honor and decency and a moral center. And personal hygiene."


Captain Jocard: "Who is this traitor?"
Barbossa: "Not likely one among us."
Elizabeth: "Where's Will?"
Jack Sparrow: "Not among us."

"I don't have the face for tentacles." -Jack Sparrow

"If I might lend a machete to your intellectual thicket..." -Jack Sparrow

(I'm going to start saying that whenever possible, by the way.)

"The enemy has opted for oblivion." -Lord Beckett


Lord Beckett: "You're mad!"

Jack Sparrow: "Thank goodness for that, because otherwise this would probably never work."

12 comments:

realmccoy said...

I love it! and agree whole heartedly:)

Why is all the rum gone? POC 1

Why is the rum ALWAYS gone? POC 2

Emily said...

Now, I can't say I either hate or love them, seeing how I haven't seen them and feel that I remain a well-rounded person in spite of that fact, but I laughed out loud twice while reading this post. At the 'dishonest' quote and the quote from your dear mama, to be precise. 'those heathen movies'. I can just hear her saying that.

Jacob said...

I have always aspired to higher things.
Like the Toy Story trilogy.
And I love being able to look at favourite sites from my phone:-)

Cordelia said...

These are great.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you were able to take a short break during your busy day : ) Love you...guess who?

Thumper said...

ah! the machete one is my favorite!!!

Katie Larissa said...

haha, Anna.

i did it in spurts, mostly when the bread dough was pretending to rise. it never did, though. and mostly with isaiah on my lap.

Gurtrude said...

Ha ha ha! I love it! I really like those movies :)

When was the last time you watched them?.......

Claire said...

Hate that crazy-eyed Johnny Depp!! That's the only reason I won't watch those heathen movies!
But I was able to read the quotes and (while trying not to see his horridly dumb looking face) they were actually very witty, so thank you!

Lolly said...

I don't remember the machete one, but it's priceless. Made me laugh - which, I know, isn't hard. Thank goodness.

Anonymous said...

I like POTC except for the gore. :P

Which is actually saying a lot, because the movies convinced me that Johnny Depp is, to put it mildly, splendid. ;) Thanks for sharing the sweet quotes.

Anonymous said...

"inconceivable!"
"you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

the H