Friday, July 2, 2010

it's just how my mind works, okay?

Today, I was vacuuming. (I don't like vacuuming as well as I like sweeping; it's anti-climatic to not see the fruits of your efforts in a nice, nasty pile, but I still derive some satisfaction from it.)

Anyway, in a particularly dark and dusty corner of the dining room, the vacuum sucked up a dead cricket, which I wouldn't have found worthy of any attention, except that three seconds later a large kernel of popcorn followed the cricket. And I couldn't help but immediately associate the cricket and popcorn with the ancient burial rituals of the Egyptians. You know, when they would fill the grave with food to theoretically help the dead person survive on his journey to the afterlife? (Yeah, that philosophy is just jam packed with irony, but apparently it made tons of sense to them.)

So, if I was an ancient Egyptian, that's what I would've been doing to the cricket. Sending it sustenance in the form of a stale popcorn kernel to make its journey to the vacuum bag happy and hunger-free.

Yes, that's the kind of things I think about while vacuuming.

Why, yes, I am a homeschooler. How on earth did you guess?

1 comment:

Lolly said...

So, when I go, I want my pyramid filled with chocolate and Dr. Pepper. Just sayin'.