Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"I have gathered a posie of other men’s flowers, and nothing but the thread that binds them is mine own." -- John Bartlett

I love quotes, be they funny, profound, or simply beautiful.

Like, I really, really love them.

Sometimes they make me misty eyed, sometimes I laugh out loud, and often I want to jump up and down, saying "yes! this person knows exactly how I feel and he says it so much better than I ever could!"

(Okay, who am I fooling? I don't just want to jump up and down. I often do jump up and down. That's who I am.)

Quotes are extremely versatile, which is probably why I like them so much. They're unpredictable, just like the people who say them. They don't fit a certain mold. People say anything and everything, and thanks to books, movies, the internet, and the people in our lives, we have delightful access to as many as we could ever want.



"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere is that they haven't tried to contact us." - Bill Watterson

I say amen to that. Maybe they don't have politics wherever they are. Can I come live with y'all? Please?

"If God can make His birds to whistle in drenched and stormy darkness, if He can make His butterflies to bear up under rain, what can He not do for the heart that trusts Him?" - Amy Carmichael

It's such an encouraging thought. And sometimes I find myself thinking about trust only in relationship to "big things" - major decisions, major trials - but that isn't the case, is it? Trust applies to day-to-day, less-than-perfect situations... and just to life in general. We have a wonderful heavenly Father. We have been commanded to trust Him. Why on earth wouldn't I, when He who makes the birds to whistle no matter what, and causes the butterflies' wings not to break under the onslaught of heavy rains, is the One in whom I am trusting?

Anna: "What did you eat for lunch, Phoebe?"
Phoebe: "Chips."
Anna: "Did you eat anything healthy?"
Phoebe: "I had a cherry."


A whole cherry? Wow, that's enough healthy food for at least a week.

“And what's romance? Usually, a nice little tale where you have everything as you like it, where rain never wets your jacket and gnats never bite your nose, and it's always daisy-time.” -D.H. Lawrence

To me, this hilariously sums up the Hollywood portrayal of love. Everything is perfect. It's always daisy time. Well, it ain't.

"We are not simply called to be moral; we are called to be holy." -Martyn Lloyd-Jones

Anybody can be moral, from the biggest atheist or deist, to the best Muslim or Hindu. But holy? Now, that's another story. You can't manufacture true holiness, and you sure can't be a true Christian without a yearning for and striving after it.

"I don't like stepping on bugs." -Me


Oh, Katie, how inspiring! How deep! How very thought provoking!

"D'ya think beautiful girls are gonna stay in style forever?
I should say not! Any minute now they're gonna be out.
Finished! Then it'll be my turn." -Funny Girl, (as taken from Kathryn G.'s fb page)


This is my new mantra. Any minute beautiful girls will be out of style.

"Breathing is overrated." -a ditz I happen to know

Oh, yeah? Well, why don't you try to go with out it for a while and see if that's true, sweetie. I have a sneaking suspicion you'll find it isn't.

"Shakespeare was a great poet. He copied life. But you have to put up with a great deal of low talk." -Sarah Orne Jewitt


In a nutshell, that's exactly how I feel about Shakespeare.

"She is too fond of reading, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

A friend gave this quote to me, I asked if it was a hint, and she laughed in my face. I took that as a yes.


Speaking of reading, how's this for insight:

"A well-read people are easy to lead, but difficult to drive; easy to govern, but difficult to enslave." -Baron Henry Brougham


"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, where X is work, Y is play, and Z is keep your mouth shut." ~Albert Einstein

I need to keep my mouth shut more. And not just so I can have success.


After reading the A.A. Milne quote at the bottom of my page:

"Well, I like a little bread to my butter." -Mama


And finally, a quote which has never ceased to charm me, because, deep in the depths of my being, I want to believe in fairies. I don't. Practicality wins out. But I really want them to exist.

So there.

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies." -J.M. Barrie

5 comments:

realmccoy said...

I like the one by Einstien the best; I could learn from that as well.
I would love to know who the ditz is--for your sake I hope she doesn't read this blog, but then it probably wouln't matter anyway right?
The one about the fairies is cute too I guess;)

Katie Larissa said...

nope, she doesn't. she barely reads.

Anonymous said...

Poor child. ^

the H

Cordelia said...

yeah, who is this poor, ditsy soul?

quotes make the world go 'round. -me

Emily said...

poor Shakespeare.

And you are the last person in the world who should be looking forward to beautiful girls going out.