Saturday, August 28, 2010

oh, dear.

I’ve done a really good job of not dreaming too much of Autumn all during this long, hot, humid, sticky, hot, dry, hot summer. Because I knew that the moment the Fall-lust entered my heart, it would be there to stay. For good. And the only cure would be one or two delightfully crisp, rustle-y, pumpkin filled months, where the geese wing overhead and the leaves gently desert their tree and settle on every available inch of ground, be they welcomed or not.

So, it’s to my great dismay that while August is still very much holding court, my longing for Fall has begun.

I say it’s all the much-longed-for cooler weather’s fault that my love for scarves is gently enfolding me yet again, that I’m beginning to think how soon I can make it by a Starbucks to suck down one of their Spiced Pumpkin Lattes, and that I’ve started panting for the day I can wear my snazzy fur-lined boots, (which Lee called my “fertilized boots,”) for the first time.

And the thought of the First Fire in the fireplace makes me the closest to high I’ll probably ever be.

I’ve started dreaming a bit too early, it’s true.

But I’d rather be the kind of person who dreams early than the kind who doesn’t dream at all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm dreaming with you! On our way to Marmee's Tuesday Phoebe said "Mama, I dreamed last night that I fell in love - and I was only six.....Mama, did you know that you can start a dream over if you think about it long enough? I had to start mine over cause I messed up and said something I shouldn't have...not something bad, just something I didn't want to say." That was not exactly the end of the conversation, but it's enough for here. I just forgot to tell you about it and this made me think of it. No wonder we say Phoebe's so much like you!

Katie Larissa said...

only Phoebe could re-work a dream to suit her fancy.

wowie, how i love that little girl.

and you know what they say, "like aunt, like niece." or something along those lines.

Amber Noella said...

Man, oh man! I cannot WAIT for Fall to arrive! It's my favorite. I love scarves, mittens, hot cocoa, etc. This is a long awaited season for me!

nonie said...

You love your scarves, your boots, your pumpkin pie....I love not paying New Albany Electric so much. Then, to think about how much I'll have to pay Ripley Gas....oh the difference in generations has just surfaced. Perhaps I need to find a scarf.....