Monday, August 2, 2010

Well, SOMEBODY has to think these things through.

Am I the only person who feels a trifle uncomfortable that toothpaste tubes have a warning on them, telling you not to swallow any toothpaste, and "if any is accidentally swallowed, contact a poison control center right away"?

Hello?

This stuff is going into our mouths... being rubbed on our teeth... covering our tongues. Do I really want to know that it's harmful if swallowed?

What if you were a really obsessive person who always took every single thing you read at face value?

::brush, brush, brush:: "AAAHH!! Was that a bit of tooth paste slipping down my throat? Did more than I realize get swallowed? Am I dying?! Is my throat about to explode? Or rot?? Should I call poison control? Will they just laugh at me? What if they tell me it's okay and just to go on with my life, and then I take their advice, but they were actually wrong and I collapse into a coma?"

Okay, now, there probably aren't a whole ton of people out there who even read the back of the toothpaste tube; (I'm just weird like that,) but I can't help being curious about all this.

Why are we brushing our teeth with such unhealthy chemicals? Is it all a vast dentistry conspiracy? Are they exaggerating the magnitude of the don't-swallow-this-toothpaste part? Or are they downplaying how bad it really is?

And you have to understand that I'm pretty intimately connected with my toothpaste. When I'm stressed, I go brush my teeth. After I cry, I brush my teeth. Before I leave for anywhere, I brush my teeth. When I get home, one of the first things I do is lather my toothbrush up and scrub away all the faults and fears of the day. It's like my own personal version of Linus' security blanket - except better. I'm refreshed and rejuvenated by this amazing, magical paste.

And now it's potentially so poisonous they recommend the poison control center if a bit accidentally gets swallowed?

I'm disillusioned.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Tom's of Maine.

It doesn't say that.

So apparently I'm not doomed to toothpaste poisoning.

Thanks, Mr Husband, for making-me-buy-this-expensive-fluoride-free-stuff-for-you-which-I-now-use-after-running-out-of-mine-cause-I-use-too-much-whew.

Now I'll worry when I'm lying awake, 'Will Katie collapse in a coma after brushing her teeth?!'

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Katie. Your not the only one whose "weird like that". I read the back of just about everything, and toothpaste is certainly no exception.

the H

Amongchosen said...

Ditto, Emma. I've used Tom's of Maine before, but I'm out at the moment. I do like to use their aluminum free deodorant as well. (High amounts of aluminum are found in the brains of Alzheimer's patients)The fragrance is apricot, which is my fav.
Melissa Mink makes her own toothpaste of baking soda & peppermint oil, healthily refreshing & cleansing.

Amy said...

Don't worry, Gingham. You won't go into a coma. You'll just develop cancer.

And I DESTROY toothbrushes. The first time Jim saw my toothbrush he said, "Amy. You should replace these after a couple of months, you know." I was like, " I've only had that one for about 10 days."