Saturday, December 26, 2009

So it begins...

The Annual Detox-Your-System-of-Christmas-Carols, of course.

Now, "Frosty the Snowman" is no longer an acceptable shower song.

Lee and Ben singing "Jingle Bells" isn't cute anymore. It's annoying, because Christmas is OVER.

No more "ring, ting, tingling too - come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you." Or however it goes. I'm beginning to forget, because I've been detoxing myself since yesterday evening.

AnnMarie? It's time to stop collaring everyone and forcing them to sing "Jingle Bell Rock" for you. But don't lose heart, next Christmas will be here before you know it.

The people who have been playing Christmas carols since before Thanksgiving, (don't get me started on that,) must quit. Now.

I have to sorrowfully shelve "Little St. Nick" by the Beach Boys. (Confession time: I like the Beach Boy's music. Still speaking to me?)



Moving on.

Want to hear a funny Christmas tale? About a fruit basket?

Good, 'cause I'm going to tell it whether you want to or not.

It's the practice of nice churches here in the South to bring fruit baskets to the poor and needy and the old around Christmas time. Lovely practice. Sometimes. I like seeing the baskets piled high on my Mamaw's table, some tastefully arranged, some crammed into a paper sack. It means she's loved and known by many churches.

BUT.

This year, there was a knock on our door. I went, and there stood a very old man with a very full paper sack. Ummmm... hi. "Here's a fruit sack from our church. Merry Christmas. Is your grandmother at home?"

Okay. Mamaw probably told them we like fruit. It's not because they consider us poor and needy, or old. Right? (Mama was a little offended, because she feels they were classifying her as old. It's alright, mama, they're just too old and blind to see how young you are.)

There were some uneatable, dry oranges, some apples, some tootsie rolls, (yes!!!) and a few bananas in the sack. And...

You're not going to believe this.

There was also a stick of deodorant.



Deodorant.

In a fruit basket.

Go figure.

And while you're figuring, start singing Valentine ditties, or Fourth of July songs, or anything but Christmas carols. Because the detoxing has begun.

9 comments:

Cordelia said...

I disagree. We are allowed a certain period in which we are weaned off of Christmas music. The length of said period is determined by the listener.

And you've been detoxing since YESTERDAY evening? Yesterday was CHRISTMAS! Hello! The very day we've been prepping for. The very day you ought to be singing Christmas carols!

P.S. Oh! Oh! A fruit basket with deodorant! Where can I get one?

Katie Larissa said...

I said EVENING. I'm pretty sick of Christmas carols by Christmas, unfortunately, because every radio station, every store, every cd that anybody is listening to is Christmas music from the beginning of November.

Ellen said...

aww, Katie, you should hear Josiah voluntarily saying your name when he sees pictures of you on facebook :-) He's so sweet!

Cordelia said...

Katie Strevel! You Scrooge.

Katie Larissa said...

Whatever.

Ellen, that IS so sweet! Too bad he doesn't like to see me in person! :)

Jean Marie said...

I can't help but giggle over this ... what adventures happen to thee, Betsy-Tacin! Perfectly ridiculous. :) And I grew up and shall NEVER GROW OUT of the Beach Boys. After all, I live .... ahem. Next to the BEACH.

And I'm WAY still singing Christmas carols. That won't end until it's January, because I sing them the whole month of December. End of discussion.

FIIIIIVVVVVVEEEE GOLLLDEEN SUUNSEETTTSS,
FOOOUUURRR FOOT CRASHING WAAAVVVES!,
THREE NESTLING TURTLES,
TWO SANDY TOWELS,
and a TOURIST SCREAMING FROM A JELLY STINNNG!!!

.... I really need to sign on somewhere, maybe on that catalog? to write Christmas lyrics. I mean, really.

Love ya',
~ Tacy-Betsin

Katie Larissa said...

Honey, you've DEFINITELY got a humongous career in front of you. When I have that catalog...

Jean Marie said...

*laughing* It is SO true....haha. Just wait until you see my next post, Betsy-Tacin...you are going to SHRIEK. hahaaha.

~ Jean Marie

Anonymous said...

Oh. Wow.
And kudos to Court on Christmas. :P