Friday, December 25, 2009

unto us...

"Hark, yonder! What means the firing of the Tower guns? Why all this ringing of bells in the church steeples, as if all London were mad with joy? There is a prince born; therefore there is this salute, and therefore are the bells ringing.
Ah, Christians, ring the bells of your hearts, tire the salute of your most joyous songs, 'For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given.' Dance, oh my heart, and ring out peals of gladness! Ye drops of blood within my veins dance every one of you! Oh! all my nerves become harp strings, and let gratitude touch you with angelic fingers! And thou, my tongue, shout - shout to His praise who hath said unto thee - 'Unto thee a child is born, unto thee a Son is given.' Wipe that tear away! Come, stop that sighing! Hush your murmuring. What matters your poverty? 'Unto you a child is born.' What matters your sickness? 'Unto you a Son is given.' What matters your sin? For this child shall take the sin away, and this Son shall wash and make you fit for heaven. I say, if it be so, 'Lift up the heart, lift up the voice, Rejoice aloud! ye saints rejoice.'"


-taken from an 1859 Christmas sermon by Charles Spurgeon


Merry Christmas! I pray we all find real reason to rejoice and sing for joy today and this year.

6 comments:

Cordelia said...

Oh, did you get this from the Robertson's Christmas card? That's where I found it. It's a wonderful excerpt.

Katie Larissa said...

Yeah, I did.

Jean Marie said...

I love that....just read it recently. :) Merry Christmas, Betsy-Tacin....I love thee.

~ Tacy-Betsin

P.S. Your comment made me smile SO big! :D

Emily said...

I LOVED this. I want a shirt like Hadley's: Spurgeon Is My Homeboy.

Anonymous said...

I don't know where this comment came from, but C. H. Spurgeon was totally against the Romanist holiday of Christ's mass. Among the other great men who were against this superstitious holiday were Authur Pink, John C. Philpot, John Calvin, Martin Luther, and the company of Geneva Pastors, the Church of Scotland's First Book of Discipline, the 1620 Dutch Synod, the Civil Government of Holland (1625), the British Colonies in the U.S. and the Westminster Assembly all speak with one voice against this Romish corruption. It is popularized the pagans are trying to paganize a Christian holiday, when actually the reverse is what is the truth.
Christmas is idolotry & taking the name of the Lord in vain, so said many great men of the faith.
History speaks...
http://www.swrb.com/newslett/freebook/holyday.htm.

Katie Larissa said...

Who on earth are you, Scrooge?